Wednesday, January 11, 2012

My First Vlog! About My Limberjack...

Today I make my video debut. You get to know a little bit yourself when you watch yourself on video. For instance, vlogging for the first time is really awkward. And apparently I mumble.

A couple weeks ago I bought a strange wooden puppet from a thrift store in Arkansas.


It has a stick going directly into his back. You know, that spot that you can't reach. Evil, evil puppet maker. I know nothing about puppets, so I had my doubts on purchasing this guy, but all those doubts were washed away when I took a closer look.


Who could say no to that face!? Anyway, I figured I would try my hand at puppeteering for the sake of the blog, so I researched how you make this crazy wood-man actually do anything; my attempts at bringing him to life would be considered "flailing around," at best. My research showed me that this wooden puppet with a stick in his back is actually called a limberjack! It's an Appalachian musical instrument. Seriously. It's used as percussion for folk music. It is also known as a jig doll, slapjack, jiggerman, limberjim, limberjill, dancin' dan, and yankee-doodle dancer. According to Wikipedia. Check out this video. Pay special attention to how excited the guy on the chair gets about a dancing man-puppet instrument.

My limberjack isn't that athletic, but he has a few moves of his own, although he prefers a much different style of music...


By the way, he was puking there at the end, not having weird air-sex.

13 comments:

  1. I still think he's having a weird air sex. Haha!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gnetch: Yeah, maybe you're right. Who knows what was in that pipe...

    Audry: I thought so, too, once I realized what the heck they were!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I literally laughed out loud, really hard, especially during the metal part. You, sir, are hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you found the perfect use for that stick figure thing. Dancing looks like it was what it was made to do, y'know?

    And surprisingly, your voice in reality is kind of exactly how I imagined it sounding when I read your blog lol.


    http://carrymel.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. So it took doing this vlog for you to finally figure out you mumble? We've been telling you that for years. Funny stuff though. Loved the metal part.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jay: Oh, why thank you :)

    Melissa: Agreed. You'd be hard pressed to find similar moves at your local club.

    Carrymel: Wow, really? Come to think of it, your voice sounded about what I imagined, too.

    Matt: Yeah, I know. I'm just a mumbler. And thanks! I didn't know you read the blog :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just because I'm your big brother doesn't mean I ignore everything you do.

      Delete
  7. Did anyone else notice the flash of the paparazzi in the first video... I was sort of surprised that your Limberjack had not risen to that level of fame. Maybe the pap are afraid of his crazy arms when he is armbanging to heavy metal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My limberjack isn't in it for the fame - he just likes the drugs. Also, they are scared of his crazy arms.

      Delete
  8. Wow, so I watched this and could not stop laughing. I'm glad you decided to do something with this guy considering the shady place he came from!!! The breakdown after Dubstep was my favorite!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, me too! :) Yeah, I wasn't quite sure what to do with him, but he kept telling me how much he loved dancing so I just filmed him in action.

      Delete