Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Thrift Store Adventures: Interesting Mugs!

You may or may not have noticed that I have a strange attraction to interesting mugs. Probably because a mug is actually intended to be used, but I would find some mugs a little embarrassing to use. Ideally, a mug owner is supposed to be proud of his mug and drink coffee out of it at work every day. Anyway, here are a few mugs I've found recently that I thought were blog-worthy. 

At first I thought this mug was supposed to be C-3PO from Star Wars.


But then I didn't - the thing on this mug looks way too retarded. Then I went back and remembered what C-3PO looked like.


Oh. Well he looks super retarded too. So I guess this mug represents a retarded version of a retarded robot. Either way, I can't imagine drinking coffee out of this thing every morning. It has an I'm-very-disappointed-in-you look on its face, and I don't think I could handle that every morning. Perhaps that's the reason this mug was found in a thrift store; the previous owner got so depressed at C-3PO's mongoloid brother staring him in the face every morning that he committed suicide and his co-workers donated this mug. 

Here is the back:


I guess those are the stars that 3-DerpyO was at war with. 

This next mug features Smokey the Bear trying to use sex to sell mugs.


This is obviously a pun meaning that Smokey the Bear "puts out" forest fires, but also insinuates that he "puts out" sexually. I don't know about you, but the idea of getting frisky with a black bear is sort of terrifying - mostly because of furries

I also like this mug because they chose that particular drawing of Smokey. His face is showing one of two expressions: 

Shock: "Hey, Smokey, I'm going to make a mug with your face on it saying that you 'put out!' Ya know, like you're an easy lay. It'll be hilarious! Say 'cheese!'" *snaps picture of shocked and confused Smokey*

Anger [3 seconds after the picture is taken]: "If you put that picture of me on a mug that says 'I put out' I will literally set you of fire and 'put you out' with this shovel."

Finally, a mug we can all enjoy! 


This mug features the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles posing in front of a blue and orangish background. They are labeled as "Radical dudes..." Where does that ellipses take you, you ask? Well just inside the mug you see Leonardo and Donatello sticking their heads out of a manhole and it says "...fresh from the sewer!" So awesome. Here is the back:


Ahh, I love the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - wait... what the heck is that? Does that say... "Teenage Mutant HERO Turtles??? That's not how I remember the song going. Clearly, my initial reaction was that this was a cheap knockoff, albeit a very high-quality knockoff, so I looked it up. Apparently, in the UK and some countries in Europe they had to change the name from Ninja to Hero because they thought that the word "Ninja" was too violent for children. That's about the stupidest thing I'd ever heard, but I guess they changed it in 2003. I'm very happy with my foreign Hero Turtles mug! :) 

10 comments:

  1. Whaaat! TMHT Just doesn't have the same ring to it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We called them Ninjas in India too. Thank God! "Hero" sounds like something we Indians would just adore :)
    Great post as always!
    ps- I'm drinking my tea out of a mug with a dog dressed like Elvis on it ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice!

    What I love is the research you put into your finds. You are, of course... full of the awesome!

    I have an affection for mugs, although mine tend to be more pretty/unique than bizarre. Then I get really protective of them and start to feel panicky when others use them...

    I suddenly want to blog about mugs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah-mazing. I'm in love with them all.... but the C-DerpyO one is my fave.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jasmine: I agree! It definitely makes the song less catchy.

    Storm: Haha, well I'm glad you go the "Ninja" version as well :) Enjoy your Elvis dog mug!

    C: Thank you, I blush! I love mugs that are pretty and unique as well, but I figured these mugs would bring more LOLs. And you SHOULD blog about mugs :)

    Andrea: Ahh, I'm glad you liked that one, I think it is my favorite as well. I need to take that mug into an important meeting with a client.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I REALLY wish you wouldn't have done the research on the TMNT, because I knew why it was Hero and was going to tell you why it was like that in the comments. You crushed my spirit.

    If I received the TMHT mug in my Thrift Store pen pal package, I would be inclined to send you something back equally as awesome.

    Is it just me, or is Michealangelo doing his best Frankenstein impression in the action shot?

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow.

    i like how c3po has boobs. i never really noticed that, until that mug came along... this really makes me re-evaluate some things....

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the mugs you got! I really need to head to my thrift store and look for some stuff to send to you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like interesting mugs, too. I like having something classy to hold my hot chocolate haha. From reading above comments I see that I'm not the only one to notice CDerpyO's cleavage. Awesome! The Smokey mug is downright terrifying...but hey, who doesn't love the Hero Turtles? Although I don't know if I could handle drinking anything out of a mug that says "Fresh From The Sewer!" on it. Hint: that isn't really coffee...

    ~SP

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cute mugs! My nephews will surely love these collection of mugs! This is a perfect gift for the kids.

    ReplyDelete